Monday, May 14, 2012

Western Regional International Health Conference


Two weekends ago I traveled to Seattle, WA with my fellow members of Students for Global Health, University of Oregon's chapter of FACE AIDS.


I enjoyed the conference because of the emphasis the key note speaker, Kavita Ramdas, placed on the fact that the concept of "Global Health" included the United States. Kavita quoted the amazing Eleanor Roosevelt to further develop her argument:

"Where after all do universal human rights begin? In small places, closes to home - so close and so small that they cannot be seen on any map of the world. Yet they are the world of the individual person: The neighborhood he lives in; the school or college he attends; the factory, farm or office where he works. Such are the places where every man, woman, and child seeks equal justice, equal opportunity, equal dignity without discrimination. Unless these rights have meaning there, they have little meaning anywhere. Without concerted citizen action to uphold them close to home, we shall look in vain for progress in the larger world."
Remarks at the United Nations, March 27, 1958

Kavita's speech reminded me to be mindful of the health inequities that are present in my local community of Eugene, OR (of which there are many) in addition to the ones that exist abroad. 


And to everyone who came to my Yogurt Extreme fundraiser, thank you! We raised $125 that night. Woohoo! I'm about 1/5 of the way towards my fundraising goal of $5,000!

Cheers!

Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment