Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Well-Loved Machine



I felt strongly today that the Ride is something that I'm meant to complete, that my emotional and physical investments are worthy, and that the Ride has made me a part of something much larger than myself. Margo, the amazing Programs and Operations Director of FACE AIDS, reminded me today that this summer, I will be out on the road with my teammates, sore from days of biking, and I will see another hill to climb. There will be moments when I want to quit. But then I will think of every person who supported me, who believed in my cause enough to make a donation to symbolize his or her solidarity with those living with HIV/AIDS. So I will not quit, because I will remember that there are people other than myself who know that my generation CAN and WILL create an AIDS-free world. The 4,000 miles in front of me are scary, but my goal is to inspire others with my commitment to a future without HIV/AIDS—a commitment that declares that we must fight this pandemic, no matter how scary, widespread and complex it seems.

Another moment of affirmation occurred when I went to a Pre-Trip meeting today for my very first bike tour that I'm taking this weekend! The University of Outdoor Program coordinates amazing trips for students and this weekend I'm biking with a group to Wildwood Falls--60 miles there on Saturday, camping overnight, and 60 miles back. There are eight of us going, and the 7 people that I met at tonight's meeting made me love the Ride for introducing me to a fantastic, friendly, and open community of biking fiends that I never would have known if it weren't for the fact that I have had to search high and low around Eugene for folks that want to go on very long training rides with me. Luckily for me, I haven't had to search very hard--bikes are well-loved machines in Eugene and especially at the U of O.

I also learned the latest fundraising tally this afternoon, and I have some exciting news: I have raised nearly $1500! Thank you for those of you that have supported me through donating and through encouragement. In the past weeks, there have been moments (particularly yesterday afternoon) in which I doubted whether or not I would be able to achieve what is expected of me as a rider this summer. I have found that moral support from people that care about me is what has sustained my energy, inspiration, and capability. I sent a donation request message to a friend today and her reply back to me contained the MOST loving, encouraging, and supportive words that I have received all week--I LOVE YOU KIM!

If you want to support me, show your solidarity with those living with HIV/AIDS, and help me make a difference, please help me make a positive change in Rwandans' lives. (Click the "You Can Help!" tab at the top of this page to find out how to donate--it's simple and easy!)

And so today, like any bike in Eugene, life was a well-loved machine. Somewhere, somehow, some stars aligned or some gears shifted (I can't decide how I want to phrase it) and I convinced myself that managing school, training, and fundraising WILL be possible over the next month. Because in two hours, that's exactly how much time I have left before the Ride starts--one month!

If you're reading this and have questions or comments for me, but feel hesitant to contact me because you don't know me very well, or we haven't spoken in a while--please disregard those feelings! I encourage you to comment on my posts or e-mail me.

Gratefully,
Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment