Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Ambassador Leader

Greetings!

This has been an exciting week thus far, and it started in an inspiring manner. Monday evening I had the privilege and honor of being able to interact with Ambassador Joyce Leader. Ambassador Leader came to speak and share a meal with a student group that I'm involved in called Carnegie Global Oregon (http://oregoncarnegienetwork.uoregon.edu/category/global-oregon-learning-community/). She inspired me because of her eloquence and poise--a very good female figure to look up to. Her career path is especially relevant to the Ride Against AIDS because she worked in the State Department for decades and was in Rwanda just prior to, and during the first 48 hours of, the genocide that was committed in the country. All the money raised by the Ride will go directly to FACE AIDS grassroots programs in Rwanda. Through conversation about an incredibly complex topic and dialogue over the dynamics of the nuanced conflict, I came closer to grasping a part of Rwanda's history that is recent enough to still impact the individuals FACE AIDS works hard to support every day. I now feel more connected to the people I have claimed to empathize when telling people about the Ride.

Here's a great photo, taken by a friend, of Ambassador Leader and I along with another member of the CGO:




Monday was a beautiful reminder that in every human conflict or strife, there are humans involved. Their narratives and stories matter, and so do their histories. Suffering is real, but so is hope--and FACE AIDS is providing that hope to youth in Rwanda and their communities.

I am renewing my commitment to use my energy and skills to honor those who I can help to empower.

Cheers,
Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment