Friday, March 30, 2012

Bike!

Greetings!

This week was my spring break and I spent a good part of it bike shopping! I basically received a crash course in bikes and cycling. I checked out books from the library, researched online, and then went to several different bike shops in Corvallis and Eugene to test ride bikes! Six days ago I had never even heard the word "componentry" before. I rode a road bike for the first time on Tuesday. And then yesterday I found myself debating with two guys working in the bike shop I was at the merits of different shifter systems and ways to alter gearings. I still don't know a whole lot, but I sure know way more than I did at the start of the week! Cycling is this whole new world I'm excited to explore.

Ok, I'll end the suspense: I am now the proud owner of a Specialized Allez Elite C2. Below is a beautiful picture of my beautiful new machine! The picture is off the Specialized website, and not a photo of my actual bike, because I want to photograph mine outside and it's terrible weather in the Pac. NW today (go figure--April showers bring May flowers, right?). 



I couldn't have found my baby on my own--I had a lot of help from the expertise of  my fellow riders for this summer and from various family and friends. I also had a lot of help from Peak Sports, the bike shop I purchased the bike from! The employees there were gracious in letting me test ride multiple bikes multiple times, and fitting me to this bike. If you live in the Mid-Willamette Valley and are in the market for a new bike, visit them! http://www.peaksportscorvallis.com/

If the roads aren't completely flooded tomorrow, I'll take it out for a spin and take pictures. If not, I'll be indoors drafting my fundraising letter! 

What have I learned this week?
1) Don't be afraid to try something new.
2) Ask questions, then ask some more questions, and then ask more questions--even if you are afraid you'll sound like you don't know anything! Because even if you don't know anything, you'll know more if you ask more questions.

As always, cheers!
~Nina


No comments:

Post a Comment